The University of Texas Institute for Geophysics (UTIG), a research unit of the Jackson School of Geosciences, seeks to understand the structure and dynamics of the Earth and other planets – from their cores to their atmospheres – to provide answers to key problems that affect us all. We aim to be a home for geophysical research and world-leading scientists, whoever they may be.
UTIG conducts expeditionary-scale geophysical research of the Earth and other planets, which seeks to:
- Assess the Earth’s resources, environment, and hazards;
- Ask fundamental questions about the evolution and habitability of Earth and other worlds;
- Create an inclusive, equitable, and accessible research environment that encourages diverse thinking within UTIG and our partner organizations;
- Train the next generation of scientists.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Accessibility, and Inclusion
At UTIG, we aim to conduct rigorous and impactful research, while treating everyone with respect, equity, and dignity. In pursuing our activities, we make the following commitments that apply in both physical and virtual spaces:
- We maintain at all times a collegial, professional, inclusive, and equitable environment.
- We treat everyone with dignity, courtesy, respect, and compassion, independent of their career path, career stage, or personal attributes, which include but are not limited to: age, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender expression, gender identity, lactation, nationality, physical appearance, political affiliation, socioeconomic class, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, and status as a caregiver.
- We listen to and are respectful of others’ right to express their own points of view.
- When conflicts arise, we commit to acknowledging them and addressing them respectfully and directly, with the specific aim of strengthening our community.
- We acknowledge our personal privileges and address our personal, often implicit, biases in order to create a fairer, more just organization.
- We adopt policies that promote equity and accessibility.
- We pledge to help the entire community follow the code of conduct, and to not remain silent when we see violations of the code.
- We will not tolerate intimidation or retaliation against anyone who raises a concern, makes a report, or cooperates in an investigation.